5 Toxins To Watch Out For This Fall

The Fall season is here along with the changing color in leaves and the cool weather, but along with this change comes a few concerns as well. Concerns that could cost your dog their life if you’re not careful or are simply unaware of these toxins. So without further ado…

1. Chocolate – Being that it’s the month of the Halloween holiday, stores are stocked up with candy and of course a popular and favorite choice of candy is, Chocolate. You may know of someone who’s dog ate a small bar of chocolate and was fine, but what you may not know is that what each dog can ingest without consequence varies. A Chihuahua could eat a whole bar and be fine and a Golden Retriever can eat a little piece and may start having seizures.

The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is for your dog to ingest. Bakers chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate are also very toxic. Be sure to keep your candy up and away from where your pup may be able to reach and be sure to watch your children should they be diving through their loot on the Halloween holiday.

Signs of ingestion can be found here.
(All hyperlinks in this article lead to PetMD)

2. Rat Poison – With the cooler weather setting in, rodents and the like will be on the look out for warm shelter. In order to protect our homes from infestations we will naturally use poisons to kill them, but this is also a great threat to our dog’s health, as well as the health of other animals that aren’t the target of rodenticides so please be considerate when using this method.

Signs of ingestion can be found here.

3 & 4. Compost and Mushrooms – I thought these two were related and decided to put them together. I was unaware of these myself, but have made it a point to not let my dogs eat anything they find on the ground so that has kept them away from the dangers these present.

Signs of ingestion can be found here.

5. Mothballs – It’s been so long since I’ve even heard of someone using mothballs, but it is still a potential hazard to your pet if you are not aware. After doing some research it appears the “classic” mothball smell that we may be aware of is because of the chemical naphthalene, which is more poisonous than the alternative, paradichlorobenzene. If you utilize mothballs in your home, be sure to place them in areas where your pet cannot access them and dispose of them immediately when they’ve served their purpose.

Signs of ingestion can be found here.

Best regards,

Jesse
Owner – Operator
Canine Perspective, Inc.

By |2018-04-14T19:37:08+00:00October 6th, 2017|Chicago, Dog Rescue, Dogs, Marketing, News, Nutrition|

About the Author:

Chicago's Premier Master Dog Trainer and Behavior Expert. Student of The Miami Dog Whisperer - Richard Heinz. Over 10 years of working experience with dogs. Professional Member of the International Association Of Canine Professionals.

Leave A Comment